-125 g water
-115 g butter, diced
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-50 g sugar
-135 g sifted flour
-1 tsp orange zest, finely grated
-180 g milk cream
-220 g dark chocolate
- Pour the water, salt, sugar and chopped butter into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat so that the butter has time to melt completely.
- Off the heat, add the flour at once and mix quickly with a wooden spoon until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Return the pan to low heat and continue stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes to dry out the dough, which must become smooth and form a ball that detaches from the walls.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl.
- Add the finely grated orange zest and stir until the dough is smooth, shiny and falls back into a thick ribbon.
Cover and set aside time to heat the oil and prepare a large dish topped with several sheets of paper towels to drain the doughnuts and another filled with about 100 g of either plain sugar or mixed with orange zest.
- Pour the oil into a fryer or sauté pan about 5 cm high and wide enough to cook several doughnuts at a time.
Heat over medium-high heat until a small piece of bread dipped in rises to the surface immediately surrounded by bubbles and browns in 1 minute.
- With two small spoons, take the equivalent of a large teaspoon of dough and dip it in the hot oil.
- Fry the zeppoles, turning them 1 or 2 times until they are swollen and golden.
Drain on paper towel and quickly transfer to the dish containing the orange sugar and roll to coat